Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"Work" Outs, Half Marathon Training and Vegan Chili

Hello Everyone,

Here I sit at work avoiding the weather that seems to be producing a disgusting mess outside and counting down the days until we can all get back outside and enjoy some fresh air.  With 21km to run and 60 km to walk this year I need to hit the pavement to prepare for the challenges that the terrain brings.  In the meantime, like thousands and thousands of cooped up Canadians I am finding my motivation and training at the gym.

Last week we started our "Work" Outs for the Arse at work.  Tuesday was our first day and we hadn't really thought ahead.  We had a tv and a dvd player but the dvd player had no remote.  I had brought a stack of videos with me but all required set-up by way of remote control.  All but ONE, Flirty Girl Fitness G.I. Jane Boot Camp.   All it needed was a play button and we were sweating our way through a half hour of squats, burpies, jumping jacks, ab work and push ups.  Melissa Jane Shaw (our Choreographer on most projects and the instructor on this particular workout video) gave me this video as a Closing Night gift for Scrooge and I had only put it in my dvd player once at home.  The next day I could barely walk and sitting down was an ordeal.  Pam, Christina, Rob, Danny and I worked it out and cursed it out.  I think it's worse when you know the person yelling at you from the television because you seem to take it more personally. 
General concensus: I didn't feel quite so beat up the next day as I did the first time, but I am no where near the fitness level this video would require on a daily basis.  Let's put it on the back burner for now.

Wednesday we were all set for our work out.  I brought in a dvd player and the all important remote.  We got the tv set up early and tested it just to be sure.   Biggest Loser Boot Camp with Bob made us work hard but never left us struggling to keep up.  There were a couple modifications for the less fit and the 30 minutes flew by.  General concensus:  This video is a keeper.  There are 3 levels to grow (or shrink) into and everyone gets to work out to their own fitness level.

We had a successful first week and had more or less the same people Friday and then Tuesday of this week.  We were meant to work out today but in the quieter times around the office we have people on vacation or out an about at workshops, auditions, events, etc.  That doesn't mean we have fallen off the wagon, it just means we'll have to work twice as hard on Friday.

I don't have a big update for my Half Marathon Training.  I am getting stronger each time I run and I am pacing my progress.  I don't want to do too much too soon so right now I am running 4km at the gym at least 4 times a week and hoping that by the end of next week I can have it up to 5km.  21km seems easier to swallow in small does, but I will get there.  I can feel it.  Really, in my bum, legs, knees, ankles, I can feel it! 

One of my favourite rainy day recipes is Chili and not too long ago I made a big ol' batch of Vegan Chili.  It is not for anyone who is afraid of a little gas.  I can promise that this chili will make you clear a room so make sure everyone that you are sharing a room or bed with is eating it too.  There is no exact science to this recipe.  It's all about tasting and your own preference.

Vegan Chili

1 package of Veggie Ground Round (available in any grocery store, usally Yves is the brand)
1 can of chick peas
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of black beans
1 large can of diced tomatoes
2 cans of tomato paste
mushrooms, onions, celery (cook them a little bit in a pan first)
chili powder or chipotle chili powder to taste (start with a few shakes and see where you end up)
half salt & pepper to taste

In a slow cooker mix all ingredients.  Cook for a couple hours, tasting frequently to check if you need more spice.  Serve with a side salad or a piece of whole wheat garlic bread. 

If you have questions about this one let me know.  I never follow a recipe, it's chili and it's hard to mess that up.

Cheers for now,
Jocelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment