Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Body Combat, Body Attack, Body Flow and an exciting "Work" Out

I had my doubts but here I am after surviving two classes back to back at Goodlife last night.  I did Body Combat first and felt more nervous about the over crowding than I did about the fact that I haven't been in the class for a while.  Body Combat is a ridiculously energetic program that is based on martial arts and draws from karate, boxing, taekwondo, tai chi, and muay thai.  It is all done to up beat, high energy music and you strike, punch and kick your way through the hour class.  They don't cap the classes as Goodlife so when I felt myself scaling back on the exercises it wasn't because I was tired (although I was pushed pretty hard) but because I feared that I might be kicked or punch by all the people around me that had no concept of their personal workout bubble.  I survived the hour including the really intense girl that takes the class whom I have been told likes to be close to people so when she is looking in the mirror it actually looks like she's punching someone in the head.  I left that studio and her behind and headed over to.....

Body attack where they take you through a cardio workout for strength and stamina.  They combine athletic aerobic moves with strength and stabilization.  I found a spot near the back as this is a class I had never taken before and it too was way over crowded.  I need to be able to see the instructor and the other people to make sure I am not the only one that looks like an idiot as I flail through the hour.  So we're warming up and I think I am catching on and then the door opens behind me and who walks through it.  INTENSE GIRL.  Now there is no punching and kicking in Attack but that doesn't stop her from grunting and yelling.  Lucky for me I was far enough away from her to not feel like I might be eaten but others did not fare so well.  My condolences.  

I woke up this morning and could still walk and move all my limbs so I have to give myself a bit of kudos for that.  I forced myself through work today without falling asleep, it was touch and go at a few points.  I can't quite figure out why I was so exhausted but I am wondering if I should blame the fact that I gave up coffee.  I did make it to the gym tonight, I ran for about 25 minutes and then headed to Body Flow.  Body Flow has always been one of my favourites.   It makes me all warm and tingly just thinking about it.   Flow combines pilates, yoga and thai chi to stretch and tone muscles with a focus on balance and flexibility.  The class always ends with a 5 to 10 min meditation and I find myself walking out like I just took a much needed nap.  This is one Goodlife class I will miss.  

And now.....THE BIG NEWS!

After some discussion today, we will be starting "Work" Outs for the Arse (get it!  It's a play on Arts.-courtesy of Christina).  On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the end of our work day we will all head to the main rehearsal hall and work out to an exercise DVD from one of our collections.  Each week a new person will be responsible for the DVD which will keep it fresh and challenging.  There is the added bonus of it being a team building exercise.  We start Tuesday and I volunteered to organize it and provide the DVD for week one because I am a keener.  I will make sure to report back on it's progress and let you know what DVD I decide on.  

I think I will take it a little easy tomorrow and either do a run and some abs at the gym or if the weather allows take Tosca (I am dog-sitting until Saturday for my sister) for a walk.  Now I am off to relax which may or may not lead to me closing my eyes.  I really am wiped out.

Goodnight and good health to all,
Jocelyn  



No comments:

Post a Comment